August 17, 2014

Visiting Grandpa Murray

Let's do some catching up, shall we? Our stop in UT on the way to TX was a whirlwind visit. We tried to pack in as much fun as we could and see as many people as possible. It's pretty much a 24 hour drive from TX to see our families, so that won't be happening often.

We wanted for sure to see Grandpa Murray. I had been waiting for this visit ever since Noah was born, because Noah's middle name Macks is for this grandpa. We didn't go out to UT the summer he was a new baby, so this was the first time we had opportunity for a photo of the two of them together. Also, we lost Grandma Murray not too long before this visit, and we were really looking forward to checking in on Grandpa. 

This right here is my favorite photo ever of Grandpa. I know it's nothing flashy, but this is how I always want to remember him, and highlights my favorite things about him. Grandpa had heard that Parker was reading the Book of Mormon, and wanted to chat with him about it. He asked Parker how it was going, commended him for working so hard at it, and then started talking about the scriptures telling Parker about the 12 tribes of Israel. Grandpa loves the scriptures and makes an effort to study them every day. When he started losing his sight to macular degeneration, even that didn't stop him and he now listens to them on tape every afternoon. I don't know the particulars of Grandpa's story, but I know that Brandon remembers lighting cigarettes for Grandma and Grandpa as a boy. He says that when Grandpa decided it was time to follow the gospel, it has been with exactness ever since. He wouldn't even drive one mile an hour over the speed limit because the gospel teaches that we should obey the law of the land. He served as a faithful temple worker until his health no longer allowed it, and even now attends as often as he can get a ride. This man shows the light of Christ more than anyone I know. His countenance glows, and he overflows with Charity. I never feel as uplifted, loved and encouraged as I do in his presence. I am so proud to carry on his name and memory in our Noah Macks.

Again, not a great picture, but one I wanted to have for memory's sake. Grandma always loved having a porch swing for the kids to sit on and I think it would have made her so happy to see these girls swinging out in the sunshine.

This is Brandon's dear Aunt NaDean. She and her sister Aunt Sandra have always made an effort to be part of Brandon's life and to be supportive of him, and just as I always felt so loved by Grandma and Grandpa for being Brandon's choice, I feel the same outpouring of love and acceptance into the family from them. They are always so happy to see us. When Aunt NaDean heard we were coming for a visit, she opened her home to us and allowed us to stay the night and fed us delicious food. I wish I had a picture of Sandra as well, because she also came to see us at Grandpa's but I didn't get one. Also, I must say that I think that Brandon's aunts are stunningly beautiful and I hope that our girls inherit a bit of that.

It made us so happy to see our dear Grandpa Murray again!
Grandpa lives about 30 miles away from the home we left in Vernal, so while we were there we also made a quick trip out to attend church at the ward we lived in. We got to see many of the faces that we love so much there and it was almost odd how little had changed while we were gone! It still felt like home. It was a visit that was too short but one that we are so glad that we had opportunity to make.

No comments: