August 16, 2013

Birthdaypalooza 2013 Part 4

Before you all get to thinking that I actually followed through on one of my threats to spank Drew and take away his birthday, (only joking folks!) I figured I better get the post up.  Here's the big 6 year old man on his birthday.  Oh, he couldn't wait to be 6!  Now that's big-boyhood.  At 5 you can still be classified as "too little", get your clothes from the toddlers department, etc.  But 6 is the real deal and he knows it!  We started the day off with red decorations and pancakes.
 Then Drew got to open a present from Grandma and Grandpa Morgan, (he also got to share a present with Parker on his birthday...a rocket building kit that they loved!) some new clothes.  Always appreciated around here.

 Then we let him open his gift from Mom and Dad.  Do you know what happens when Mom leaves the shopping entirely to Dad?  You get spoiled.  Stinky....rotten....spoiled.  Skylander's Spyro's Adventure for the Wii!  I"ll be honest, I never in a million years would have picked this out on my own; didn't even know it existed.  But lucky for Drew it was Dad's turn and Dad is a video game nut.  Dad even took the boys the next day to use their birthday money from the great grandparents to buy MORE Skylanders dudes.  Oy!
 He was thrilled.  And so was his brother.  And let's be honest, Dad was just as giddy about it all and plays frequently with them.

 Then Drew got to video chat with Grandma and Poppy to open gifts from them.  This boy is so funny!!  He specifically called to ask Poppy for presents this year.  Not something I normally encourage, but he found a moment on the phone to sneak it in!  I guess he was worried Mom and Dad weren't going to come through for him. ;)  So he asked for a fishing pole, (since he's tangled the previous ones to the point of uselessness, at least one of which was also bought...by Poppy) and......wait for it.......and ALARM CLOCK!  HA!  Anyone who knows my Drewben Von Steuben knows that he values his sleep.  Even as a toddler, if he got tired, he would ASK to go to sleep.  He hates to be dragged out of bed early, and is almost always the last one up in the house.  He takes after his Mama.  But I guess he thought he was missing out on something?  So anyway....when making his request, he also specified that both things were to be Lightning McQueen branded.  Well, Poppy passed the word on to Grandma and they came through in a big way.  This kid was so excited.  And I must say, so was Poppy.  He actually took lunch at home so he could video chat with Drew earlier in the day and keep the suspense to a minimum.  He also got the bonus of a Lego Batman Wii game.  Yes, it was the year of Wii birthdays.

Anyway, back to the alarm clock.  How is it working?  Well.....he has YET to wake up to it even once!  He keeps asking me about it, and you can see he's upset but trying not to show it in fear that if he admits he thinks it's broken I'll take it away, (I must be meaner than I look - or look meaner than I am, take your pick).  It is so funny.  I hear it every morning.  Several times.  And then the automatic function kicks in and turns it off.  He keeps right on snoozin' and misses the whole thing every day.  But he still loves it!  Every night he asks me to check it for him and see that it's set.  I LOVE THIS CUTE BOY.

Drew was the only kid to request a themed cake this year.  Sonic the Hedgehog!  The kids found a bunch of throwback cartoons on Netflix that they love and this was one of them.  Even the girls love it.  Paige pretends to be Sonic, and Claire pretends to be Tails and they zoom all over the house.  Adorable.  At first I was intimidated by the thought of making a Sonic the Hedgehog cake, but a quick google search assured me it was doable.  It actually turned out super easy.  In case you're wondering, it was chocolate on the inside.  Drew is a creature of habit and will probably be asking for chocolate cake for the rest of his life.  ;)
 If it wasn't so easy, I'd say this cake right here ought to earn me Mom of the Year.  Isn't it fabulous?!
And of course the number 6 candle on the cake.  Anything for you Drewbie!!

What can I tell you about Drew right now?  I just love this kid.  He says the funniest things.  He really thinks deeply, and speaks his mind in such a straight forward way.  He gives the best hugs!  He isn't afraid of much.  Parker and the other kids always run to get Drew when there's a bug to kill.  He is loving being big enough to do things with Dad and their bond has grown leaps and bounds over the last few years.  He's very particular and likes to have things "just so."  For example, when he makes a mistake practicing his piano, he starts over from the very beginning.  He lines up all of his bedtime things, (his blanket, his pillow pet, his stuffed McQueen) just right before climbing in bed and will not be rushed in this ritual.  He has a great mind for math, hates to be teased but loves to tell jokes, still hates vegetables of any sort, but will tolerate them as a means to an end for dessert, likes to sing, loves to have fun and is a VERY special member of our family.

WE LOVE YOU ANDREW JAMES!!!

1 comment:

Ashlee said...

Awwww! I love Drew too! He looks SOOOO big to me in these pictures! And Kate... 15 points for the cake madam! It's a beaut!