August 19, 2009

Linguine with Zucchini and Chickpeas

If you have tons of zucchini in your garden this year;
#1-share with me - it's my favorite veggie!
#2-here is a recipe for you!
I found this recipe on Cheap Healthy Good, but I made some changes that made it a little less cheap, a little less healthy, but in my opinion more good! It's a recipe with a nice mild taste, (for the kiddies) with no meat - but don't forget the beans have protein, (for me) and cheesey goodness, (also for me - Brandon will eat anything).
Linguine with Zucchini and Chickpeas
1 lb. linguine noodles, (cooked)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 med. zucchini
2 cloves garlic
1 15 oz. can chickpeas, (aka garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
1 c. heavy cream
4 Tbsp. butter

Saute zucchini with a little kosher salt in the olive oil about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, chickpeas, and red pepper flakes, cook 2-3 minutes longer.

Add butter, heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Simmer softly about 5 minutes until thickened, stirring. Add pasta and enjoy!

For those of you that prefer cheap and healthy to buttery deliciousness, (you're crazy, and probably thinner than me) the original recipe omits the cream and butter. Instead use 1/2 c. pasta cooking water combined with 1/4 c. parmesan cheese for the sauce and use the rest of the cheese as a topping. To give full credit where it is due, I got the idea for the cream and butter from Rookie Cookie's Jack Rabbit Drive Penne Pasta. By the way......you must try this!!!! It is so delish and another excellent recipe with no meat and lots of good veggies. It does have a bit more of a kick to it's flavor than this, but it is soooo yummy. Pretty much anything from Rookie Cookie is yummy. Are you hungry yet?

No comments: